This year though, October for me has been a somber one. The Russian went in for her what we thought was her last surgery, but in fact it wasn't her last.. We had such a great morning together right before we went to the hospital. we were high on life and laughter. We kept the nurses belly laughing at 7AM before everyone had their morning ritual coffee/caffeine. It was a glorious day!
As you can see above we were the laughing stock of the hospital because of our slap happiness. And I think it was because we knew this was it.. This was the VERY LAST surgery. Russian even talked about Disneyland on the way into the OR to the nurse who clearly had no idea what the A,B,C & D tickets were to enter into Disneyland many years ago.. (I mean, who doesn't know about those?!) :) anywho, way off topic now. The nurses were still laughing when they wheeled her in and she gave everyone one last "HOORAH!" As she waved going in.
My mom is a fighter. The BRAVEST woman I know. I don't know one thing she wouldn't or couldn't do. I'm proud to be her daughter.
After her surgery we met with the Doctor as he told me that it wasn't a home run this time around.. I was devastated. I knew mom was going to be also, but she wouldn't let us see that in her. She has been carrying on as normal, doing "normal" things as best as she can. We will go back to the hospital in about 4-6 months to have yet another reconstructive surgery. What's sad is that from this last surgery, when I picked her up in the morning from her house, she had all of her things ready to come home to for when she was going to recover. Pillows were fluffed, prescriptions filled and in order for her to take with signs in front of them of what they were in case something happened. She had her snacks ready, barf bag at the go and back scratcher fairly close to her so when her anesthesia starts wearing off she will have a solution to her mad woman itchyness.
My sister, brother and I had everything figured out and who to watch her when and who would sleep over with her (since my little brother still lives with her).
This summer has been a whirlwind of unpredictable things. But one thing I know for sure is that this summer has brought our family closer than they ever have been. Isn't it sad that some tragic moments in our lives are sometimes the ones that bring us all together? The happy ones as well, but I think the sad ones are those that make the happy moments better for us.
I love my family. I love my mom and everything she is to me. I'm happy I get to be with her longer on this earth. I'm happy for a loving sister and brother who show unconditional love and support.
I am happy.


No comments:
Post a Comment